Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Easter Dachshund and Lemon Beagle


In honor of Easter I painted a Dachshund with a basket of pastel bones. The wiener dog is wearing bunny ears and looking very pleased with itself. I sold the original of this today to a very nice woman down in Portland, Oregon who has two dachsies and one lemon beagle. One of her dachshunds is a rescue with no teeth but plenty of 'tude. Anyhow, as I sometimes do, I painted a quick bonus ATC to include with the purchased painting, which is the lemon beagle below. I grew up with a black and white beagle mix, but this is the first time I've ever heard of a lemon beagle. My childhood beagle, Droopy, was quite a character and inspired a lot of the humor I try to infuse my dog paintings with.

I attempted some acrylic painting tonight; it went poorly. I've been watching a tutorial by illustrator Will Terry, which certainly makes sense when I watch it, but the execution went somewhat differently for me. My brushes are not really suited to the medium, and Kelly was bugging me to get the cats out of the room so that we could let the birds out, so that probably didn't help. Will is planning to do an online class coming up that will have actual assignments and critiques that I must must must get into. I feel at a weird crossroads in my career right now, and just don't know what direction to go in next. I want to move forward with children's book illustrations and apps, but I don't seem to be able to decide on the next step.

On the Kelly front, I went to the annual IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for her at school and had to take a long self-pitying nap afterwards. It's been a rough year, and her ADHD seems to be getting worse instead of better with time. Multiple medication mix-ups have added to the horrors of navigating 4th grade with the attention span of a gnat and the imagination of da Vinci.

I also listed my latest paintings on Etsy for those that are interested. The address of my store is https://www.etsy.com/shop/TerryPond.

No comments:

Post a Comment