Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oh, the Huge Manatee!

I cannot take credit for the clever title of this post - while I was researching manatees I saw the title used a couple of times on the internet. Woe for the poor manatee, because while it can survive on lo-cal romaine lettuce and sea salad, it still retains a blimp-like figure. I have always found manatees particularly endearing up close, looking as they do like good-natured russett potatoes with arms and tiny eyes. The manatees I have managed to see up close were "rescued," the lucky inhabitants of a large tank at Epcot's Living Seas with Nemo and Friends. Seeing their deep scars from boat propellers really makes anyone visiting them want to protect them from the ravages of man and his machines. We visit the 'Tees every year in late Fall at Disney World and never fail to exclaim "Itty Bitty!" at first sight, because our Itty Bitty Kitty bears more than a passing resemblance to them. Bit-Bit was trying to get up on the bed the other day and we came to the conclusion that if he had just a little of a manatee's buoyancy (or environment) his full figure would make getting around a little easier. He can't help it if he is just big-boned, can he? The manatee illustrations can be found on a full assortment of cards and clothes at http://www.cafepress.com/terrypond/5773532.

Another illustration I have been working on lately is the Waltzing Weiner Dogs - based on a painting I did several years ago: http://wiener-dog.com/waltzingwienersB.html. This one is re-created in Illustrator to make it more re-producible for shirts and products: I think this pair of loving Dachshunds would make great anniversary cards.

I will post a link here as soon as I have them up on my store. I have been making a lot of sketches of dogs and cats in Lederhosen, and hope to be able to make some finished illustrations next week. I also have some new sketches of Birthday dogs I hope to get going on - they are long overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment