Thursday, March 2, 2006

The Goat Girl

Once again I have some works in progress up on auction. It occured to me that someone might think this was some kind of weird marketing ploy. While I hope that people might find it interesting to follow the progress of a painting, I am doing this because I simply don't have my act together. I could use the excuse (and it's a good one) that having sole responsibility for a 3 year old makes it difficult to get things done, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the whole story. Kirk has been working until midnight every night, poor man. When he gets done we figure out dinner and then go to bed around 1 or 2am. I'm really not sure what I am doing with my time, only that it is fragmented. I sit down to paint and then something else distracts me. Hopefully this will get resolved soon. I need to get these two paintings finished so that bidders will know what they are really bidding on. Then the process starts all over again for next week's paintings. Yesterday Kelly managed to shut down my computer while I was working and I'm not even sure yet what was open and did not get saved. I know I had been working on a new print, but I think I did save it at some point.
We took Kelly to the pediatrician on Tuesday and that did not go as smoothly as hoped. I loved the office, but Kelly was crying the whole time and trying to escape. Thank goodness Kirk was there to help handle her. The doctor was very nice, and took a lot of time with us. It was apparent from the questions the nurse asked that we have been expecting less of Kelly than we should of a 3 year old. She doesn't know her first and last name, and if you asked she couldn't tell you if she was a boy or a girl. It never occured to us to cover that ground with her. Why? Anyhow, Kelly is significantly delayed in her speech, and this was confirmed by the doctor. She gave us a referral for speech therapy, but of course our insurance will cover no such thing. I called the Scottish Rite society and they do free speech therapy for those who qualify - meaning those with nothing more wrong essentially than delayed speech, and that is our Kelly. She is very bright, happy, healthy - she just doesn't talk in sentences. They have a long waiting list so it may be May by the time she can see them. But if she talks in the meantime, that would be great - if she doesn't she will need it more than ever. I wish I had someone to talk to about this who has gone through it. Kelly's daddy was a late talker but I don't think his mom can offer any insight, and I have a cousin who was a late talker but I get very minimal responses when I try to talk to my aunt about that (or anything, really).
Beebers is doing better (see previous barfy post). I figured that he was reacting to some Friskies canned food that I had given the kitties. Normally I wouldn't feed such garbage, but we had run out of their normal canned food and had a whole case of the Friskies that I had gotten for our stray cat. Unfortunately the stray disappeared immediately after we bought the case. Very sad. This was a little black cat that wouldn't come near us but enjoyed consorting with our raccoons. When the raccoons came to the porch to eat this kitty would be right there rubbing up against them and eating next to them. It was really sweet. I even saw her with the opossum and with two new raccoons who were very perplexed by her behavior. One of them even took hold of her tail and inspected it curiously. Then she just disappeared. Kirk likes to think her owner took her, but I think she was really homeless. In any case we never saw any signs of foul play, so I hope she is out there somewhere and happy.
Here is a funny story about Kelly: She loves to watch movies we've taken on her dad's computer, and her latest favorite is one of a goat at the Indianapolis Zoo. In the video the goat takes a bite of the zoo program that her dad is holding. Dad got out the program to show the nibbled off piece. After that Kelly insisted on taking bites of the program (see picture) until it was mostly gone. Then later I was painting at the table with Kelly and discovered that she was chewing up a piece tissue paper. I looked at her sternly and told her not to eat tissue and she gave me a look and bleated like a goat! Funny little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment